The Chappelle Theory
An anonymous PR industry person has put together The Chappelle Theory, a site covering why Dave Chappelle’s show went off the air.
It’s a medium read, but I found myself going through it quickly as it just gets crazier and crazier. As a huge fan of the show I closely followed the press involving Dave’s departure to Africa and his decision to pull the plug on a show he’d just been paid $50 million to continue for only two more years.
If even a couple parts of this story are true though I can say I certainly understand why he needed to get away.
A short synopsis of the really crazy bits:
– At least two dozen or so threatening phone calls directed at Dave, his career, his family’s safety, and his life.
– Voodoo Dolls. ’nuff said.
– The all encompassing wrath of Oprah and Bill Cosby.
– Nation of Islam enforcers covertly working on the show for unknown reasons.
– A specially taped message directly from Oprah played only on Dave’s television during the middle of her show telling him she was going to end his career.
– Waking up with a gun to his head and three guys in his house who had been tailing him for some time who nobody else ever even got a look at.
– The Net-style computer hax0ring of Dave’s credit cards to make them all stop working at the same time.
I could keep going and going. Just read it. These types of things are what the internet was built for.